Friday, November 8, 2013

De Profundis,(Psalm 129)

Out of the depths I have cried to Thee O Lord ! Lord hear my voice.
Let Thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If Thou, O Lord wilt mark iniquities, Lord who shall stand it ?
But there is forgiveness with Thee, because of Thy law I wait for Thee, O Lord
My soul waiteth on His word, my soul hopeth in the Lord
From the morning watch even until night let Israel hope in the Lord
For with the Lord there is mercy and with Him is plentiful redemption
And He shall redeem Israel, from all their iniquities.

Psalm 130 (129) is a partially indulgenced prayer, one of 7 penitential psalms,
in commemorations of the dead it may be sung as part of vespers.
It's title 'De Profundis', comes from the Latin version ,
 in translation,  'Out of the depths'.

No comments:

Post a Comment